Bursting with flavor, this salad is a perfect accompaniment to summer dishes. Or, simply add chicken, fish or pork to turn this salad into an entrée.
Prep Time: 30 minutes Cook Time: 15 minutes Makes: 6 servings
- 12 cups mixed greens, such as baby arugula, spinach or kale, radicchio and curly endive
- 3 roasted beets, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup very thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 2 navel oranges
- 1 tsp finely grated orange zest
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1 tbsp finely chopped shallot
- 2 tsp honey
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Spiced Pumpkin Seeds:
- 1/2 cup shelled pumpkin seeds
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Pinch each ground cinnamon and cayenne pepper
Orange-Honey Vinaigrette: Peel oranges using a sharp paring knife, and following the natural curve of the fruit to remove the bitter white pith. Working over a bowl to catch the juices, cut between membranes to release segments; set aside.
Whisk together 1/4 cup orange juice, orange zest, vinegar, shallot, honey, mustard, thyme, salt and pepper; add olive oil in slow, steady stream, whisking constantly until well combined. Set aside. (Vinaigrette can refrigerated in airtight container for up to 5 days.)
Spiced Pumpkin Seeds: Preheat oven to 325°F. Toss together seeds, honey, cardamom, salt, cinnamon and cayenne; scatter in thin layer onto parchment paper‑lined baking sheet. Bake for 9 or 10 minutes, rotating pan halfway through cooking time, until seeds are golden and crisp.
Arrange greens on large, shallow platter. Top with beets, avocado, orange segments and red onion; drizzle with desired amount of vinaigrette. Garnish with goat cheese and Spiced Pumpkin Seeds; serve immediately.
Tip: To roast beets, wrap in foil and cook in 400°F oven for 45 to 60 minutes or until tender. Peel beets, wearing latex gloves to avoid staining hands.